I had to laugh at Ally's reaction to her son wanting to wear the ridiculous-looking "skinny" jeans. My son has been wearing them (black only) since he started Junior High. When we traveled to Seattle last Spring he was the only kid I ever saw wearing them in the Pacific Northwest, prompting my dad to make several comments about his grandson's "leggings" and "leotards".
If you are not familiar with the Levis skinny and super skinny jeans, let me tell you. Think of wearing pantyhose that are falling down in the crotch, but made of stretch denim. Now pay $40 for them and if your son chooses to wear them, be prepared for the following:
1. Nothing will fit in his pockets.
2. His underwear/boxers WILL be showing.
3. He will say that he can ride his bike perfectly fine, but his junk will be crushed.
4. Hopefully he won't choose a really dumb-looking color like neon yellow or red.
5. He will look like a dork.
I have been told by other moms that this is a phase that they will grow out of so I am just biding my time. Now I know how our moms felt when Ally and I walked out the front door wearing miniskirts and shredded sweatshirts.
And yes, we both grew out of it.