Pages

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Ooh, Ooh, That Smell

My stepson just graduated from Boot Camp and recently came home on weekend leave with a Marine buddy.  All went well until the day after they left and I just couldn't put my finger on . . . that smell.

Every time I walked by my son's bedroom where they had slept I got a whiff of  rancid cheese, smelly feet, and a little cat urine.  I picked up my favorite blanket that the Marine friend had used and sniffed it, bracing myself for the worst, thinking it could have been his feet leaving behind the odor.  Nope.  Thank God, because I would have never used that blanket again.

Then I got down on my hands and knees and started sniffing the air mattress he slept on.  Clear.  I smelled the sheets and the bed my stepson slept on and that was not it.  Then something caught my eye.  A Marine Corp. issue sea bag with the name of my stepson's friend stenciled on it sat, stuffed full, in the corner of the room.  How did he forget that?

Oh, Lord, that was it!  My husband was brave enough to open it and I swear I saw green fumes.  The culprit was a set of dirty desert cammies crammed on top of a bunch of other clean uniform pieces.

Just think of how gross your workout clothes smell after a hard workout.  Now, take a teenage Marine wearing the same uniform for a week, taking it off still wet with sweat, and stuffing it in a bag that doesn't breath for a few more weeks.  Oh, then leaving at your buddy's parent's house.

I closed up the bag, dragged it down to the garage and sprayed it with a potent mixture of Fabreeze and Lysol.  Then I used the same mixture to get the smell off my hands!

My husband was kind enough to take out that stinky uniform and wash it.  Twice.  Then he hung it outside in the sun and squirted it with Lysol.  People, it was finally clean, but still smelled!

My stepson returned home last week with two different buddies.  The first thing I said to him was, "Your buddy Jeff left his smelly sea bag here!"

"I know," he said.  "I have been trying to get him to wash that for weeks."

His new friends smelled much better.

-Lela

6 comments:

Pamela Hutchins said...

Oh God, there's nothing stinkier than sweaty teenage boy workout smell. You're lucky your whole house didn't have to be fumigated after that!

Kimberly said...

Passing you the febreeze ;)

blueviolet said...

I didn't expect you to say that it needed cleaning badly before it even came in the house. Wow!!!

loridyan said...

"A little cat urine..." HA! I have the answer for you: Sport Suds. If you can't get it, let me know and I'll mail you some. It takes ANY smell out of ANYthing (like a bed full of barfed up seafood korean barbecue on Christmas Eve)!

tsonodablog said...

OMG the one thing that drove me nuts on both my sons were their "stinky feets" as I Unaffectionately called them. My older son loves to tell people how I wouldn't let him in the house after school when he was 10...until he took off his shoes and rinsed his feet with the hose. Sounds cruel, huh? WELL, number 1, we lived in Hawaii so it wasn't cold. Number 2, He insisted on wearing a certain style of canvas tennis shoes that held sweaty smells like an old dusty banker holds onto his money. And Number 3, I didn't want that Stink in my house. So there. I hope he's reading this.
And the really really sad part is that he has three sons that also have stinky feet.
OY

Wild Child Mama said...

I'm amazed at how carefully you smelled everything before you found the bag!! So brave of you. I think I would have made someone else be the bloodhound.
Boys are so smelly!