Monday, September 17, 2012
It Happened At A Wedding - Monday Listicles
Link up with Stasha at The good life for Monday Listicles. It's a different topic every week - follow along and join in. Stasha's a great host and always has interesting things for us to make our lists about.
Once again we've been given a topic, 10 Things Wedding, and free rein to use it anyway we want. Here are some of those things that happen at weddings that make you go, "Really?!"
1. An old boyfriend was in attendance at my wedding (son of a family I was close to). We had disposable cameras on all the tables for guest to take reception snapshots with. He had someone take a picture of him, chin in hand at the table, making the sad and depressed face. Imagine how thrilled my husband and I were when the picture were developed. His sister confirmed that he thought it would be hilarious to show that he was bummed I'd found someone else.
2. I attended the wedding of the younger sister of a good friend of mine. Her maid of honor stood up to give a toast. Somewhere in the middle of her rambling she made a reference about the groom having slept over on previous occasions. Her Italian, Catholic parents thought she was a virgin.
3. A gal I graduated from high school with had a huge production of a wedding. Thing is, she had eloped several months earlier without telling her family (the ones paying for the wedding).
4. The same girl had all her attendants do a choreographed dance step down the aisle. Lela (my bff and co-founder of this blog) was one of her bridesmaids. I may never let her live it down.
5. I failed to invite my SIL to be a bridesmaid. I was young, very non-traditional, and no one else told me I should. I'd only met her once, and the girls I'd chosen were people I was very, very close to. I'm not sure she's ever forgiven me. I've often wondered if I had, if she'd consider me her friend instead of her enemy. But then I realize she'd still be charming us with her hateful anger and I'd have to look back at pictures of her in the wedding party. No, I made the right decision.
6. My cousin got married on Maui at a beachfront resort. Dress was "beachy", but nice. In other words, most of the men were in shorts and Hawaiian type shirts while most of the women were in summery dresses. An uncle showed up in jean shorts, a t-shirt with the sleeves cut off and hungover from partying with his mid-20's son the night before. That sort of took casual wedding to a whole new level.
Most of the weddings I've been to, and probably you, too, have been quite nice. So the last four things are all about my wedding.
7. My good friend's daughter (who is now an adult family friend in her own right) danced a hula to the Hawaiian wedding song at our reception. It was the best. Topped off the many Hawaiian touches we had added to our day.
8. I was married in 1992, and having a "videographer" was just becoming a thing. I thought it was money we didn't need to spend, but my mom really wanted it. She was paying, so okay. BEST decision ever. The video person did a fantastic job and we now have those memories forever. Thanks Mom! (which reminds me I need to get that transferred to DVD!)
9. I personally think our wedding reception was a blast. We were having so much fun that our friends finally told us to leave so they could clean up.
10. As some of you may know, going pee while wearing a full skirted wedding dress is not easy. I have no idea what my husband's excuse was. But when we finally left the reception, we both had to go so bad that he actually pulled over and went behind a warehouse. I didn't figure I was going to pull that off with a wedding dress on, so I held it to the hotel, then demanded help getting it off as quick as I could - so I could pee. Romantic, yes?