Pages

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Time For Thanks

I didn't do Monday Listicles this week. I've been busy preparing to prepare to make turkey and mashed potatoes and sweet potatoes and green beans and two kinds of pies, and... and... and...

Since it's Thanksgiving week, and since I've been in a funk and needing to find the positive in my life, I still decided to write about Things I'm Thankful For:

I'm thankful for this blog community, and although my little corner is just a tiny, tiny piece, there are some pretty special people that I've connected with and continue to do so, either in person or just over the interwebs.

I'm thankful for family that will spend the holiday with us.

I'm thankful for employment for both me and Hubs. Although it may not be "perfect", there are so many who are still out of work and struggling to get by.

I'm thankful for my little pal. No matter how blue, no matter how bad of a day, she will bring a smile to my face every time.

I'm thankful for a few really awesome teachers that have made a real and true difference in my son's life. One in particular has help him harness his inner confidence and I'm watching him bloom before my very eyes. 

I'm stealing this one from a friend, but I'm thankful for water. Have you ever thought about it? How we wash our bodies-clothes-dishes with it, let it run down the drain, and drink it until we pee every 30 minutes. For many, many, many people in this world water is a hard-to-come-by necessity they don't get enough of. 

And as my blog friend Kimberly reminded me - sometimes it's okay to just be thankful for my fuzzy blanket, the dog at my feet, the programs I DVRed. Sometimes that's enough. And believe me, I'm thankful for all those things.

One more - if you read my post last Friday, my heart was breaking over a dog some awful coward of a person dumped on the side of the road. We had to take her to the animal shelter and I was crushed over the idea that as a pitt bull, she was less than adoptable and terrified she'd be euthanized after the 72 hour hold. I'm happy to tell you that she was given a behavior assessment and "passed with flying colors" and was deemed a "sweetheart". She's up for adoption and we are hopeful she will find her forever home or that one of the rescue groups they work with will step in to help her. She's not in the free and clear yet, but we have hope. And hope is a good thing.

I am thankful for hope.

Happy Thanksgiving!
I wish you plenty of things to be thankful for. 

***Ally

8 comments:

Liz @ A Nut in a Nutshell said...

When it all boils down to the nitty gritty, we don't need much more than the people and pets we love to make our lives complete. We live charmed lives in some ways, don't we?

angel shrout said...

OH I would take the pup in a heartbeat.. figure out a way to get her to me in KY and she will be even more spoiled than anyone could ever imagine..

hiker mom said...

Yay, so happy to hear the dog is adoptable:)

Terri Sonoda said...

I have never thought about it before, but HOPE is just about the best thing there is for which to be thankful. You opened up my eyes to this with your lovely blog today, so thank you very much, my friend. Like you, I am thankful for many things, to include my family, friends, job, and yes...my fuzzy blanket and comfortable pajama pants. But what keeps me going from day to day is HOPE. I hope for better days ahead, the health and happiness of my children, and a way to make ends meet. I don't ask for much, and yet I am thrilled with every good thing thrown my way.
Have a very Happy Thanksgiving! I am so thankful that you and I are online friends, and hope to meet you IRL some day! XOXOs!

Clarinda @ Enjoying the Course said...

This literally made me tear up a little. Thanks, Ally! :P

Good news about that dog (though I haven't read Friday's post. yet).

I love that you included water. We take it for granted so often, but it's definitely something to be thankful for.

Kimberly said...

See when you look hard enough, those specks of things we are grateful for, you will find them...always will.
Love your face and I hope that you and your family have an amazing thanksgiving.
PS. Water is a good one!
xo

The Empress said...

Pets add so much to the quality of life, don't they?

Happy Thanksgiving, I'm with you: tired of wasting energy and precious days, Working hard to have a 24/7 attitude of gratitude.

xo

Babes Mami said...

I am SO HAPPY about puppy!!!