Pages

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

They Say It's Normal

"They" say a lot of things are "normal". So let me be more specific. I'm talking about teenagers changing their minds 8,432 times about what school they want to go to for college and what they want to major in.

Not my boy, though. Uh-uh. *snort*

We started with, oh, who can remember. Anyway, then there was audio production, engineering, and athletic training. But audio production was the clear winner, and it required a really freaking expensive specialized school. All good. We toured, we sat through the info, talked about how it would work.

And then his guitar teacher told him some BS about being too hard to make money in the industry. Of course, he was talking about sound production for bands, not the huge, vast, infinite possibilities of sound production in other forms. But, nope, his mind was made up. His passion, second only to baseball, was no longer an option for him.

As parents, we bit our tongues until they bled. Trust me on this, you cannot tell a teenager anything about life today or how it might affect them, say 5, 10, 15 years from now. Well, you can try, but since teenagers, especially older teenagers, know absolutely everything about what they want in life, you will get nowhere. In fact, you will quite likely end up with a complete about face rebellion to whatever you are trying to say. Oh, you with young children - you just wait. Your four six ten year old has got NOTHING on you yet.

Then it was engineering, athletic training, marketing. Marketing won out. Still is the winner. Schools were looked at and choices narrowed. He was interested in only two. One on the other side of our state, one in the same state a set of grandparents lives in (UNR). Two tours of each school. Because we don't do anything half way around here!

Ah, but then there's the ever-present baseball. But no, he was interested in program and school first. THEN, if he could play ball, he really wanted to give it a shot. Okay, let me just put aside any notions of how this works - it never RARELY works that way when you are looking at Division 1 schools, which he is. You don't just pick a school and then "try out" for the team. NOT hardly. Unless you are draft material, you take whatever offer you can get from wherever you can get it. The recruiting process to play college anything, is an intense a process you can get and I'll save it for another post. Basically we said, "That's great. You should definitely give it your best shot, you have nothing to lose. But don't hold your breath."

I talked to him about his interest in possibly playing for another school if the opportunity arose. Or playing for community (junior) college first if that chance was offered. But NO, he was only interested in his two picks. That was it.

Applications went in and acceptances came back from both schools. 

Then yesterday:

Him: "Are you going to sign me up for that baseball College Showcase at the training facility?"

Me: "Do you really think it's worth it if only one of the schools you are interested in will have a coach there?"

Him: "But there will be other school's coaches there, right?"

Me: "Yes. There will be 29 colleges represented. But I thought you didn't want to consider another school."

Him: "Well, if they offered me a spot to play, I'd consider it."

THIS, people. THIS is where parents earn a badge for years and years of practicing a calm reaction.

With my mind racing and me wanting to slap him silly for waiting this long, I said, "Okay, let me talk to Dad about it."

*I should point out that talking to Dad has to do with the fact that there is a PRICE TAG attached to this little event. To the tune of $175.

Sigh. Is this the beginning of the mind changing? Maybe. Who knows. I suppose I'll just sit back and be glad he wants to go to college.

But for the love of all things that drive me nuts - this kid waits until the last minute every time. He's going to drive me to drink with his calm, let's squeeze it in at the deadline demeanor.

See early admissions is now. Full admissions by spring. Financial aid applications next month. And most kids playing college sports are already immersed in the recruiting process. But my kid with his broken arm last year - we are just now getting a skills video together.

OH WAIT, did I tell you The Girlfriend wants to go to the in-state college? And major in marketing. And obviously wants him to go there. 'Nuff said. I'll be glad it's not me.

Is that drink ready yet?

***Ally

8 comments:

Liz @ A Nut in a Nutshell said...

You're giving me painful flashbacks!!!!! At least you just have one child? There's that?

Terri Sonoda said...

I was just about to open a cheap but palatable bottle of merlot, and you are very welcome to join me, my friend. Welcome to the world of adult children. You're almost there. it's the transition that could kill you. Just remember to duck when the girlfriend starts throwing the china.
:-P

Michelle said...

I have no idea how you do it. My sister is graduating from Kentucky this spring, she was SO indecisive she finally just put ten or so choices in a hat and picked one. THIS is how she decided? Turns out she was supremely happy, is miraculously graduating in four years, AND is the president of her sorority. Sometimes these things work out no matter how crazy they might seem.

Clarinda @ Enjoying the Course said...

*pours you a nice glass of wine* Sit back and relax, Ally. You did a great job; it will all work out.

Kimberly said...

Ummmm...we have problems on what my son wants to wear to school in the morning. It gets worse I take it.

Mindy said...

Reading this made me cringe. Oh, the frustration! I admire your restraint and desire to let him lead the process. The good part in the end? He will be able to own his choices here and ultimately (if not initially) take responsibility for the outcome.

Babes Mami said...

Argh!! I can hope that I will will be able to give calm and controlled answers!!

Stasha said...

Girlfriends are always in the middle a bit ha? I think his first choice was awesome, wish teachers think before they crush someones dream. Even if they are just being practical...