Sunday, January 20, 2013
What's Hiding In My Closet?
Link up with Stasha at The good life for Monday Listicles. It's a different topic every week - follow along and join in. Stasha's a great host and always has interesting things for us to make our lists about. Besides, cool people hang out there.
This week however, I think I might have shuddered a little when I read the topic: 10 Things In My Closet??? I mean, I share a lot with you guys. But my closet is where I leave my ocd and my clean freakiness behind. It's the one room that gets to be, well, gross. However, I figured if you could share, I could share. So here goes. Oh, and forgive the phone shots. I was too lazy to get out the real camera.
10 Things In My Closet (that probably reveal too much about me):
1. Some of my workout clothes have their own drawer/bins. The top is for sports bras and socks; middle for tech tops and race shirts; bottom for running shorts, capris and long pants.
2. This vintage dresser. You can't see, but the matching night stand is beside it. It was my grandmother's. 60's? Not sure, but since our closet is kinda big, we only have an armoire in the bedroom (along with the bed and all the exercise equipment) and the dresser stays in the closet. So we've never gotten a new, modern one. This does have some vintage coolness going for it, though. And a giant mess on top of it. Guess I know what I'm cleaning next...
3. Lots and lost of boring, practical shoes. For wearing to work.
4. One pair of 80's Old Navy overalls. WHAT?! They come in very handy for last minute Halloween costumes. I can become a scarecrow very quickly with some flannel, some straw, a little makeup and a goofy hat.
5. A file cabinet. I told you the closet was ridiculously big. And yes, those are the magnets I can't bear to throw away for one reason or another.
6. Okay, this one is cool. This was my husband's grandfather's top hat (from England, in it's original box). It got passed down to my father-in-law, and then onto my husband. We have a framed picture of his grandfather's wedding - he is holding this hat.
7. Not quite Pinterest-worthy, but a cork board and some over-sized thumbtacks make storing necklaces a bit easier.
8. An embarrassingly, ridiculous amount of running/athletic shoes. Front row, left to right: really old running shoes (unsure why they are even in the closet), old running shoes, new running shoes on top of cool Ironman shoes I wear for work. If you look hard to the right, you'll see the reflector and a small red swoosh on the heel of a pair of Nike running shoes that didn't quite work out. Under the shelf is my trail running shoes, next to a cheap pair of trail running shoes that I had to buy for their stiffness after a foot injury a long time ago. AND, last but not least, in the open tub on top of the shelf is a pair of old brown Nike Free's. They don't make them in brown anymore, darn it. They are super cool and I don't want to get rid of them.
9. Boot boxes. Big tub contains the summer clothes I long for the appropriate weather to wear. And the small tub contains the bustier I wore for my wedding. 20 long years ago. Hush. I'm sure there are some old slips or something I would never wear in there, too.
10. When Hubs and I lived in Hawaii, there was a dude who was not quite right in the head, Captain Kenny. But he was kind of an institution and he drew these pictures for people he knew. Hubs got one from a friend before we moved over 22 years ago. It's one of those things where you kind of had to be there I guess. We'd never get rid of it, though. Who knows, there were only so many originals ever done... maybe their worth a free drink!
I'm quite sure my closet also contains enough dust to choke you, some horrific clothes I won't let my husband wear in public, a ton of racquetball gear belonging to him, and a baseball card collection someone talked him into buying once to make money off of. Ahem. They are still in the closet. 'Nuff said.